I see on the blogs recently that “brick wall” is a controversial term. So let me acknowledge these are problems I simply haven’t solved yet. I’m hoping that putting them here will spark someone else to give me an idea. I can always hope!!
1. EDWARD BALDWIN, 1833 -. I am missing the parents of Edward Baldwin. Edward may have been born in Massachusetts around 1833 (I would suspect the Springfield –> Worcester area based on subsequent family history). I know he lived in Belmont (Allegany County), New York with his wife, daughter and step-daughter, and that his son was born in Belmont around 1863. See my blog post Edward Baldwin – Birth Record Wanted.
2. HANNAH ANDREWS, 1819 – 1878. Hannah may have been born in Massachusetts, but she married Russell Lamphere Jr. at the Congregational Church in Colchester, CT in 1838 and in that (Norwich, CT) record she was “of Ashford”, CT. According to her Providence, R.I. death record, Hannah’s parents were named Jesse and Sarah Andrews, and she was born in Coventry, CT. There is a couple by that name who raised a large family in Montague, Massachsuetts but I am quite sure they are not her parents since they seem to have other children born around the time of her birth, and they never moved to Connecticut. Hannah had one brother that I know about, ALDEN ANDREWS, who lived at some point near Springfield, Mass., so perhaps that is her birthplace. I’m stumped. For some details of her married life, see my post The Girl from Alabama.
3. LYDIA MINER, 1787 – 1849. Lydia is doubtless from the southeastern Connecticut/southwest Rhode Island area but I cannot place her in any specific family. She married Russell Lamphere Sr. in 1807 in Norwich, CT. They raised 14 children there. This one should not be that hard. See more in my blog entry My Lydia Miner.
These last two are only challenges. Someone set a stopwatch, because I’m giving myself 6 months:
4. NANCY TEFFT married Daniel Lamphere in 1773. She was probably born in R.I. and after her marriage, lived in Westerly, R.I. I have two sources for her first name but only one unreliable source for her last name. The Teffts were mostly from Hopkinton, Rhode Island.
5. LUCY ARNOLD was married in Smithfield, Rhode Island to Richard Ballou around 1777. This is fairly certain. However, there were many Arnolds in Smithfield and I can’t seem to pin her down.
Any and all leads or thoughts are most welcome. thanks!!