I realized recently that people needed easier access to the Rhode Island treasure, The Narragansett Historical Register. I am presenting all volumes here, and a single set of Table of Contents and Index pages, for searching.
The Narragansett Historical Register was published under the leadership of its editor, James Newell Arnold, from 1882 to 1891. Of the nine volumes, I own eight of the more recent reprints from Heritage Books, Inc of Maryland, 1994-1996.
If you’re not lucky enough to own these colorful reprints, the original volumes are no longer under copyright and are available online. I have linked to copies of those, below.
Originally published as a periodical, the set contains serialized transcriptions of local vital records from around Rhode Island, articles about local history, notes about local historians and authors, transcriptions of sermons and diaries, church history, a few illustrations and portraits, genealogical inquiries, short snippets, and quite a bit of editorial comment by Rhode Island’s favorite genealogist, James N. Arnold. And yes, the occasional poem. Mr. Arnold did a wonderful job of collecting short historical and genealogical articles from colleagues around the state.
One problem with this journal is that each annual volume has its own table of contents and index, making it a bit of a chore to look things up. So I have built an additional single pdf document containing ALL table of content and index pages. From that, as a trial, I was able to find most occurrences of the word “Warwick” by opening the “Table of Contents …” pdf, below, and using “Find” under the Edit menu. After finding a “Warwick” entry that interested me, I would have to open the pdf of the appropriate volume (look for the red typed page that precedes each Table of Contents/Index section to know which volume is being referred to). A true (combined) index for all volumes would be much better, of course.
Here are some sample article titles, all from volume 3:
- The Hopkins-Ward Letters (by Prof Ray Green Huling)
- Gleanings from the Ancient Records of Bristol, R.I. (by Col. Charles A. Green)
- Joshua Tefft (by the editor)
- The Sherman Family (by Rev. David Sherman)
- The Records of Old Smithfield
- The Whiteman or Wightman Family (by Rev. James Pierce Root)
- The Arrest of Thomas W. Dorr
Here are the volumes. Clicking on one will immediately begin to download the pdf. The quality of the reproductions varies.
- Table of Contents and Index pages from ALL volumes
- Volume 1 [downloads directly from Internet Archive]
- Volume 2
- Volume 3 [downloads directly from Internet Archive]
- Volume 4 [downloads directly from Internet Archive]
- Volume 5 [downloads directly from Internet Archive]
- Volume 6 [downloads directly from Google Books after you enter the CAPTCHA]
- Volume 7 [downloads directly from Internet Archive]
- Volume 8 [downloads directly from Internet Archive]
- Volume 9 [downloads directly from Internet Archive]
The post you are reading is located at: http://wp.me/p1JmJS-z5